Not that we should reserve shouts of thanksgiving only for actual Thanksgiving Day.
But in the spirit of gratefulness, below are 9 reasons to say “thanks” for sexual intimacy in marriage.
Let’s be grateful that sex…
1. Slams the door in Satan’s face. The enemy is out to get your marriage. When you make love often to your spouse, you keep the door from flying wide open.
2. Is worth treasuring simply because you can! If you and your spouse are not suffering from debilitating illness or injury — or separation because of military deployment or work commitments — then be grateful you actually can make love tonight. Some couples don’t have that choice.
3. Tells God that you agree with His Word and plan. He knew what He was doing when He gave married couples the gift of sex. Let’s be grateful for God’s holiness and generosity!
4. Binds you to your spouse physically, emotionally and spiritually. Sorry to state the obvious, but who better to be one flesh with than… uhh…the one with whom you vowed to be one flesh? Just sayin.
5. Reminds us that orgasm feels really, really good. (So true. So very true. Well played, God. Way to go on including that nice little benefit).
6. Is a tremendous amount of fun. If you’re doing it right. And if you aren’t and are bored in bed, then good news: You can learn to have fun sexually with your spouse!
7. Doesn’t require any cash, make-up, fancy clothes or someone to watch your kids. That’s right! Let’s celebrate that sexual intimacy in marriage is something we can do often, without a lot of prep and without ever leaving the house. Put those kids to bed early and head to the bedroom. The dishes, dirty laundry and email inbox can wait.
8. Allows you to walk fully and faithfully in other areas of your life. Want to be better equipped and refreshed to be a parent, employee, volunteer, ministry leader, neighbor, relative, friend? Then willingly and enthusiastically nurture sexual intimacy with your spouse.
9. Burns calories. Seriously, it does! (And today is Thanksgiving, so this point seems particularly appropriate, right?!) Occasionally, after my husband and I make love, I think quietly to myself, “Hmmm. Nice workout. Skip the treadmill tomorrow.” Of course, I don’t want him thinking I’m just using him sexually for the workout, but can’t the sex be for a workout and for all the other reasons? I think so. And honestly, I don’t think he minds being used sexually by his wife! What husband doesn’t want to be the preferred choice over the treadmill?)
So, there you have it.
9 reasons to be grateful for sex in marriage.
Did I miss anything?
Copyright 2012, Julie Sibert. Intimacy in Marriage Blog.
14 thoughts on “9 Reasons to Be Grateful for Sex”
I am very grateful indeed for the amazing sexual intimacy that my husband and I have!
#10 – it is absolutely amazing! 😉
Great points and reminders of the truth! Nine things to look forward to of all that God designed for marital intimacy..!
#10 Helps me fall right to sleep.
#7 is not strictly correct. I have ED and must take rather expensive medication. Fortunately my wife is rather careful with money so we use each pill twice!
Thank you @Anonymous… you are right that there can be some costs for medications… glad to hear you and your wife are being resourceful in making your sexual intimacy a priority!
Many blessings to you! Julie
I’m going to try #1 tonight
“Hey honey, want to go slam the door in Satan’s face?”
Great reminders. And so happy that I can skip the treadmill tonight – lol.
#8 is so true. After making love with my wife, then all the following day I am walking on air and can take anything the world throws my way. The converse is also true, the day BEFORE we make love at night has the same effect on me.
So awesome! I love every point – this post is a keeper, and perfect to be shared with couples we mentor! Thank you.
#10 Causes rapid heart rate when planning to enjoy sex outside of the bedroom.
Great post Julie.
Just to encourage your younger readers. My wife and I are in our 70s.
Our wedding night was the first sexual experience for either of us and we have been faithful to each other throughout nearly 40 years. We are now making love more often than ever before and it is far more exciting than ever before. God’s greatest gift to Christian married couples is indeed the gift of sex. It is to be treasured and protected and enjoyed as God intended, within the confines of marriage. My wife is the most wonderful woman in the world and she tells me I am the most wonderful man in the world. We both feel young when we are in each other’s arms!
Marriage is indeed an extraordinary institution created by God. I too believe intimacy and sex are cementers for long lasting happy marriages.